June 10, 2019 – Hannibal, MO – The Hannibal Board of Public Works (HBPW) will be fire hydrant testing as part of its regular maintenance program. The testing is scheduled to begin approximately June 10, 2019 and continue for 30 days or until complete.
Fire hydrant testing is performed annually to obtain operational information for each fire hydrant. Information gathered during this process is used by the Fire Department when fighting fires, as part of the ISO rating and by the HBPW in determining where future improvements can be made to improve the distribution system.
- Possible Noticeable Effects:
- It is important to understand that during testing there may be some discoloration or cloudiness in the water. If this is experienced you may want to run the water through the cold water faucet of a bathtub or outside water spigot until it clears.
- Minor pressure fluctuations and small air pockets may also be experienced. Fire hydrant flushing should remove a majority of the color and odor, but some may reach customer lines during the process.
- Is the Water Safe to Drink?
- Yes, the water is safe to drink throughout this process.
- Discoloration in laundry is possible during this time. Cleaning additives are readily available at local stores to help prevent or remove any discoloration that may occur.
Customers with any questions concerning the fire hydrant testing may call (573) 221-0955. Hydrant testing locations will be posted regularly below this press release.
Fire Hydrant Testing Locations
*Please note, all dates and locations are schedule to change due to weather and traffic.
June 10-14, 2019: Riverview Park going west on Palmyra Road, Palmyra Road to Marion County 911 Center, Highway 61 going north to Butternut subdivision, Hannibal La-Grange University, Wyaconda, Oak Ridge Pond
June 14-16, 2019: Butternut north to County Road 410 including River Road, Highway 168
June 17-23, 2019: Highway 36/72, Mark Twain Ave south to Broadway, North 5th St west to Saint Mary’s Ave
June 26-28, 2019: Please St north to Palmyra Road, including Sunnyside, Greenway areas (on east side of McMasters Ave). Crews will then move to west McMasters Ave to Munger Lane, Stardust north to Route W.
July 1-5, 2019: Stardust north to Route W, Munger west to Veterans Road.
July 8-12, 2019: Stardust moving south to Route MM and Highway 61 towards Head Lane, then moving south from Route MM to Clinic Road, including Hillcrest and South Park areas.
August 27 – September 6, 2019: White Oaks subdivision, Route MM south to Highway 61, Hummingbird east to Highway 61, Highway 61 east to 29th Street, Huckleberry Heights Drive south to Tilden and St. Charles.
October 14 -18, 2019: Areas of Ruby, Nancy, Wellman, and Hummingbird