Current Hydrant Flushing
*Please note, all dates and locations are subject to change due to weather and/or traffic.*
- June 21st - 25th»
- Stardust north to Route W, Munger west to Veterans Road
- June 28th - 30th»
- Stardust moving south to Route MM and Highway 61 towards Head Lane, then moving south from Route MM to Clinic Road, including Hillcrest and South Park areas.
- July 1st - 9th»
- White Oaks subdivision, Route MM south to Highway 61, Hummingbird east to Highway 61, Highway 61 east to 29th street, Huckleberry Heights Drive south to Tilden and St. Charles
- July 1st - 9th»
- Areas of Ruby, Nancy, Wellman, and Hummingbird
Meet Our Water Crew
Throughout the year, the water crew is busy maintaining and repairing city water lines. Maintaining the water supply to customers involves several responsibilities such as:
- Maintenance and repair to water mains and services
- Installation of water mains and services
- Maintenance of fire hydrants for fire protection
- Installation of water service for new construction
- Meter change-outs
- Valve change-outs
- Occasional maintenance of water towers and pumps
The crew is responsible for these tasks year-round. However, during months of low temperature, the crew can be found repairing frozen water meters along with broken water pipes.
Periodically, the HBPW water crew will release water from fire hydrants. Hydrant flushing is necessary to make sure adequate flow and pressure is available. Flushing is also done to remove any sediment from the pipes in order to maintain water clarity and quality in the distributing pipes. Occasionally water becomes discolored after hydrant flushing. If this happens, run cold tap water for a few minutes until the water clears.
Education and Training
Each member of the water crew is a certified pipefitter, of which there are three levels – A, B, & C. Each is also required to maintain a level 1, 2, or 3 Distribution System License and have a certain amount of hours of training they need to maintain their license. Along with these certifications, the HBPW holds multiple trainings throughout the year that encourages continued education.
Meet Our Meter Department
The HBPW Meter Department is responsible for maintaining and repairing all residential, commercial, and industrial meters for all HBPW customers. This involves:
- Daily connecting and disconnecting of electric and water meters
- GPS and mapping of water lines